- Nearly 60 years of experience
- One-on-one video conferencing support
- Help file previous tax years back to 1992
- A variety of refund disbursement options
- Cost: Free -- $42.46
H&R Block Tax Software Review
When it comes to tax preparation, H&R Block has been a revered name for a long time. With nearly 60 years of experience under their belt, it’s not difficult to imagine a scenario where the service helped multiple generations of the same family. Yet while the company may seem old-school because it’s been around so long, it actually does an excellent job of integrating their tax preparation expertise with the tech-savvy 21st century.
- Get H&R Block
- Sensible shortcuts & efficient filing
- Automatic checking of documents
- Live online experts ready to help
- In-depth, comprehensive support
- Cost: Free for the basic program, $49.99 for Turbo Tax Deluxe
TurboTax is a product that has become practically synonymous with online tax software and self tax preparation. It has gotten that way because its services have designed their product to be more intuitive and customizable every year since it came on the scene in the mid 1980s. This year’s version offers a host of sensible shortcuts that you can use to make filling out a 1040 form a lot less intimidating.
- Get TurboTax
- Free e-Filing for active duty military
- Easy to understand program
- Option to request guidance
- Ability to import data from the previous years
- Cost: Free-$32.95
TaxSlayer is a relative newcomer in comparison to some of the other tax filing software that is out there – it came into existence back in 1998. However, the company is showing some serious staying power by offering cost-effective state e-Filing and simple, easy to understand tax preparation software. They are also positioned to be the unofficial tax preparation service of the military, as they offer their services free of charge for the country’s active defenders.
- Get TaxSlayer
- Easily import existing tax information
- Tax support via Facebook and Twitter
- Comprehensive news blog
- Guided interview process
- Cost: Free - $49.95
eSmart Tax Review
You may not be as familiar with eSmart Tax like you are with other online filing services, but you are undoubtedly familiar with their parent company. The service is backed by Liberty Tax; the massive company known for their Statue of Liberty sign-spinners that pop up on street corners between January and April. The company’s know how when it comes to taxes and tax laws is evident through eSmart, as they offer a wide range of services to help all kinds of tax payers, up to and including those who need to file 1040s with business expenses or as independent contractors.
- Get eSmart Tax
- Filing of prior-year federal and state returns
- Simplified breakdown of multi-state filing
- Import prior tax-related data
- TaxTutor Guidance feature provides tips
- Cost: Free - $28.99
TaxACT has built a sterling reputation on making the complicated act of tax filing significantly simpler. This is especially the case when it comes to the intimidating world of state taxes. Plus, their competitive price tag may make them an attractive option for filers that may be looking to save a buck or two.
- Get TaxAct